A DBS Check is a simple solution to ensure companies make the smartest hiring decisions possible. It’s certainly easier than the old process of requesting Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks as well as separate checks from the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA), with the new system instead of combining them into one single check. The three types of DBS certificates issued contain varying levels of disclosure, but all of them follow a very similar, structured process whenever requested by an organisation.
This article will discuss the DBS Checks application process in 2023.
What is the application process for a basic DBS check in 2023?
You can complete an online application form for a basic DBS Check.
To complete this form, you will need:
- A list of all of your addresses for the last 5 years and the dates you lived there
- Your National Insurance number
- A debit or a credit card
- Your passport
- Your driving licence
If you give your consent to your employer, they can also apply for a basic DBS check on your behalf.
If your job involves working with vulnerable people (children, elderly people) you may need Enhanced DBS check, and to apply for that, your employer must do it on your behalf. Individuals cannot apply for Standard and Enhanced DBS Check. See below for more details.
What is the application process for a standard or enhanced DBS check in 2023?
Here is the process for a standard or enhanced DBS check for an employer:
- Once any new staff member needs a DBS Check, the employer must register their organisation with DBS Check Online and fill out the application for the staff members.
- As an Employer, you must ensure that each applicant fills out the form without errors and submit it to us.
- The DBS will then carry out the appropriate checks, and if the job involves caring for, supervising or being in sole charge of children or vulnerable adults, the DBS may also search children’s and adults’ barred lists. These are lists of people who are barred from working with children or vulnerable adults.
- The employer needs to contact their employees and check the certificate when it comes back with the results because the certificate comes back to the applicant’s address and not to the employer.
It usually takes 14 days to process a DBS check.
But it can take longer if:
- There are any incorrect details in the application.
- Several police forces need to be involved in the check
The timing can also depend on the following:
- The level of the check being carried out
- Which police forces are involved in the check, as some may have backlogs in processing applications
With DBS Check Online, you can fast-track your DBS application.
The cost of the three-level of checks is different, to find out more, please get in touch with us and we will let you know.
Can I get any help filling out my application form?
To make your application, please call us at 0333 880 5331, and we will dedicate you to an account manager to go through the process and make sure that you submit your application with no mistakes. For more information, please use the contact us section on our website.
Learn more about:
- DBS Checks for Self Employed
- Can you fast-track a DBS Check?
- Do DBS Checks reveal motoring offences?